Nexus is proud to introduce a scholarship for students or individuals conducting research in the fields of security and defence. The main objective of the scholarship is to support individuals in their research and generate an open and informed debate on security and defence in Iceland.
The individual selected as the Nexus Scholar will receive a monetary scholarship from Nexus of 50,000 ISK to be used to support his or her research in accordance with the accepted application. The final amount may increase, if the scholarship will be supported by a third party.
At the conclusion of the work, the Nexus Scholar agrees to share the findings and final product, which will be hosted on the Nexus website. The research may also be introduced to the wider public in the form of a public lecture or seminar hosted by Nexus.
The research subject must be connected to Iceland either directly or indirectly (e.g. aspects of internal Icelandic security, Nordic or Arctic security affairs, NATO or international security/defence cooperation that includes Iceland). Ideally the research should substantively discuss Icelandic matters or the impact on Iceland, although the primary focus may be a wider context.
The scholarship is open to both Icelanders and foreign scholars under the age of 35 (at the completion of the research), but the research and final presentation must be in either Icelandic or English. Research done for an MA thesis qualifies for the award, as does a post-graduate project. BA thesis work does not qualify for the award. You cannot apply retroactively for a research project that has already been completed.
Questions about the scholarship can be directed to the board of Nexus by email, firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to apply for the scholarship, you must submit the application below. Please keep in mind the following:
- In your project proposal, justify your research and include an abstract (subject to change), your research goals and how you believe the scholarship would help you achieve them.
- If selected as a finalist, Nexus may share your application with a third party in an attempt to secure additional funding.
- The Nexus Scholar will be selected by a Nexus committee. This committee may contact you with additional questions if necessary.
- The selection committee will consider the excellence of the research proposal, the importance of the research for Icelandic policy, and the proposed use of funds.
- Even though your research will be in Icelandic, the application below must be written in English
- The application deadline for the 2015-16 Nexus Scholarship has passed (Friday 18 September 2015).